Powered By Blogger

Friday 19 November 2010

MY TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA 22

Just after I had submitted the previous post, I was subjected to the most sustained attack I had ever known. It was way beyond any pain level I had previously known and lasted for almost 6 hours. My wife contacted my GP who immediately called for an ambulance which took around two hours to arrive. Meanwhile I 'd been reduced to a quivering wreck with tears, snot and saliva pouring from me. When the paramedics arrived, they were less than sympathetic. The male thought he would just drag me to me feet and pull me towards the ambulance. It was quite clear that both had never heard of, let alone experienced TN. My son managed to stop the paramedic dragging me from the house and I made my way to the ambulance under my own steam. Please bear in mind that at this point I had suffered from 4 hours of mind blowing pain. I was eventually checked in to the Casualty Department, only after they managed to find a treatment room.
A nurse came into the treatment room and offered me 2 paracetamol tablets which would have been like using a slingshot to sink the Bismark. I was unable to speak at this point, let alone put anything in my mouth; so I was duly recorded as "refusing pain control". My wife and son were eventually allowed to see me and at last someone was able explain to the medical staff that I was suffering from TN. I would have been as well saying I was suffering from an over ingestion of galactic moon dust. The pain was still unbelievable at this point. The doctor tried to examine my head, despite being informed that any touch to the left side of my head would cause untold agony, although I don't think I could have been in any more pain at that point. Eventually, I was injected with morphine.....not a jot of difference to the pain in my head other than the fact that the pain was the only thing I was conscious of, I had no feeling in my body whatsoever. My wife, god bless her, noticed that it was time for my 800mgs of carbemazepine. The only trouble was that I could not take anything orally. One of the nurses remembered that liquid carbemazepine was used on the pediatric ward. A short time later I was supplied with 800mgs of carbemazepine in two syringes which I managed to fire right into the back of my throat. About 10 minutes later, the pain disappeared completely.
I was transferred to an admitting ward where I was treated with the utmost care. Unfortunately the pain returned, shortly after I was admitted, and it was worse than ever. When I say I was screaming with the pain, I mean screaming. More morphine was administered and to be honest I have little recollection of that night. The morning arrived, more pain, more morphine, more screaming, the day became a daze and still no relief. What I do remember is that senior nurses were becoming increasingly distressed by my pain and their inability to help me.
I was then transferred to the infectious diseases ward (probably the only bed available) where I was put under the watchful eye Dr Allan and his team. The redoubtable Staff Nurse Brenda Thom and her 'in yer face' style of nursing was a godsend. Not a women to be messed around, as I found out to my cost. I will say it again, a godsend who helped me get through this, I would even go as far as to say she kept me sane. I could go down the 'angel' cliche, but somehow 'angel doesn't suit Brenda.
I honestly can't detail the next two days, probably due to the amount of drugs I was taking. The pain was still horrific and the morphine had been changed to pethidine, which helped a little more than the morphine.
Shortly after wakening on Thursday morning, the usual crushing pain returned. A jab of pethidine in the leg, around 10 minutes of agony and I was as right as rain. I even managed to eat some lunch and have a wash and a shave, my first since Monday.
Since then, I've had nothing other than the usual short jabs of pain in my left eye which usually signals the start of a full blown attack, but has been OK so far. I saw a neurologist from the Southern General Hospital today. He examined me at some length and discussed the history of my TN over the years. I have to say that I was most heartened by this visit and his open and honest manner regarding the options available to me. What he made clear was that surgery is the absolute last option and there are a few steps to go before it would even be considered.
I was also visited by Charles Martin, Consultant Aneathtatist and pain manager and I have a further appointment with him in a fortnight's time. His visit was a great boost to my morale which was not too good at that point.
So, I am now home with no pain and a bag load of further medication to take. Gabapentin and Amatryptalin both of which make me incredibly drowsy. I have renounced the evils of alcohol as it does not agree with the aforementioned drugs and it was probably time to cut down or stop in any case.
The real star in this whole scenario is my lovely wife Janice. I don't know if I could have been as strong as her if the shoe was on the other foot.
I feel like I am standing on the edge of a cliff.
Any mistakes in this diatribe are purely down to me, Carbemazepine, Gabapentin and Amitrypteline



No comments:

Post a Comment